Monday, May 9, 2011

To Swaddle or not to Swaddle

Tierney has never been a huge fan of the swaddle but it does help her sleep. If I swaddle her to soon she will get mad and not settle, if I don’t swaddle her she will start winding back up as soon as I lay her down, and if I wait till she is asleep to put her down she will wake up within 30 min.

She busts out of the swaddle which is fine because if she gets out of it on her own she will stay asleep. Several weeks ago she somehow managed to swaddle her face. She turns herself around in her bed so when I went in to check on her and saw the blanket where her face sure how been I thought she was upside down, I saw her belly moving up and down, her breathing was a little labored, followed her body down expecting to see her head but instead saw feet. I declared that to be the end of swaddling for her, the blanket was wrapped so tightly around her head it was insane. After a couple days of her not staying asleep I decided to go back to swaddling but modifying it to make it easier for her to get out of.

So far we have not had any more freaky incidents but tonight she successfully rolled from her back to her belly and I’m pretty sure after that milestone we stopped swaddling Keelin. I realize it’s highly unlikely that she will be able to roll while swaddled but I also don’t think it’s very common for a baby to swaddle their own face.

Maybe I'll turn the swing into her bed, she sleeps great in there unswaddled.


No comments: